Effectively tackling industry-level climate risks to ensure inclusive participation in the green economy by all organizations

Guest blog by Chiu Hao Chen, IPP ’23

My Odyssey with PDIA

In a time overshadowed by rising tensions among nations, unprecedented increases in natural disasters, and the world’s collective shortfall on all Sustainable Development Goals, I set forth on a quest alongside revered Masters of PDIA (Problem Driven Iterative Adaptation) at the sanctified halls often referred to as HKS. As my journey unfolded, I garnered profound wisdom, insights, and epiphanies that will enlighten both policymakers and corporate executives.

Join me as I recount tales from this odyssey.

Wisdom from the Two Masters, Matt & Salimah

From their ancient teachings, I grasped the true essence of the Force, manifested in the unyielding thirst for knowledge. A PDIA practitioner must persistently seek, diving into the depths with questions, channeling the Force to continuously inquire “why” until the heart of the disturbance is revealed. This profound insight is crucial in preserving the equilibrium between problems and solutions.

Furthermore, tackling the looming adversities of the world isn’t a mere skirmish but a long-fought battle. Every PDIA practitioner (journeyman or master) must pace themselves, harnessing the Force to discern which disturbances in the Force are ready for intervention and which need patience and strategy.

Visions through the Force:

Reflecting upon my training at the sanctified halls, a vision became clear: vast reservoirs of untapped potential within informal networks. In this realm, often overshadowed by the orders & hierarchy, holds the key to gaining momentum to kickstart the first step of transformative change. This awakening has transformed my style against the dark forces. No longer confined to orthodox tactics, I’ve employed the fishbone tool to dissect the disturbance, identify its roots, and harness the Informal network to be nimble, adapting to the ever-shifting constellations.

Carrying Forth the PDIA Traditions:

As I tread forth, Fishbone in hand, my strategy against any disturbance in the Force will be rooted in the teachings of PDIA. Mastery lies in harnessing the Force to pinpoint the nexus of intervention (Entry Point). The art is not in confronting every shadow but in choosing the pivotal battles where triumph becomes conceivable.

To all aspiring PDIA practitioners out there: Trust in the Force and the teachings of PDIA. Challenges may be daunting, and the Dark Side ever-tempting, but with patience, fishbone, and Triple A in hand, balance will be restored to our world. May the Force be with you.

This is a blog series written by the alumni of the Implementing Public Policy Executive Education Program at the Harvard Kennedy School. 47 Participants successfully completed this 7-month hybrid program in December 2023. These are their learning journey stories.