Navigating the Waters of Education Reform: A Reflection on Implementing Public Policy 

Guest blog by Georgia Hachem, IPP’23

Embarking on the journey of Harvard’s Implementing Public Policy (IPP) course has been a transformative experience, particularly as I delved into the complex realm of education reform. Over the course of numerous assignments and hands-on experiences, I encountered both challenges and revelations that have significantly shaped my understanding of public policy implementation. In this blog post, I aim to share the key learnings from the IPP course, shed light on the implementation challenge I tackled related to education reform, and explore the impact this course has had on my problem-solving approach. 

As part of my strategy, I organized reform roundtable discussions within the education ministry, focusing on key reform tracks such as cost efficiency and system governance. This initiative aimed to bring together diverse stakeholders, fostering collaborative efforts to address the identified issues. 

Key Learnings from IPP: 

The core philosophy of PDIA was a game-changer. Instead of relying on preconceived solutions, the emphasis was on understanding the problem deeply, breaking it down into manageable parts, and iteratively adapting interventions based on feedback and learning. 

The fishbone diagram emerged as a powerful tool for dissecting the root causes of the challenges within the education system. This visual representation allowed for a comprehensive understanding of the interconnected factors influencing the problem. 

By addressing the root causes uncovered through the fishbone diagram, and organizing collaborative discussions on reform tracks, I actively contributed to the transformation of education at the ministry level. As I continue this journey, the lessons learned from IPP will remain a guiding force, driving me to iterate, collaborate, and translate insights into tangible reforms for a more empowered and equitable education system. 

The course reinforced the importance of continuous learning and adaptation. It encouraged me to view setbacks not as failures but as opportunities to refine and improve strategies, fostering resilience in the face of complex challenges. 

Implementation Challenge in Education Reform: 

My chosen implementation challenge focused on an education reform roadmap launched at the Ministry of Education, where I work as a reform advisor. Through a series of assignments and the development of a fishbone diagram, I unearthed critical factors contributing to the reform problem, such as outdated curricula, a lack of professional development opportunities for educators and lack of data and financial management. In response, I initiated a comprehensive approach to education reform at the ministry level, building a reform management structure (team) and organizing roundtable discussions to address key reform tracks. Each reform track, whether focusing on curriculum redesign, professional development, or financial transparency, presented its own set of challenges. However, through the PDIA methodology, we harnessed the collective wisdom of stakeholders, continuously adapting our strategies to overcome obstacles. 

The resistance that initially seemed insurmountable gradually gave way to a sense of shared ownership. As successes accrued in specific reform tracks, skepticism waned, and MEHE stakeholders began to recognize the positive impact of the changes. 

Progress and Insights Gained: 

The iterative nature of the PDIA approach allowed me to make substantial progress in understanding the intricacies of the problem. Insights gained through assignments, such as stakeholder mapping and problem construction, provided a nuanced perspective. The fishbone diagram, a visual representation of the root causes, served as a roadmap for designing targeted interventions. 

Rather than viewing resistance as a roadblock, PDIA has taught me to see it as an integral part of the reform process, an opportunity for learning, refinement, and ultimately, success. 

Impact on Problem-Solving Approach: 

The IPP course has fundamentally altered the way I approach problem-solving. Instead of rushing to implement predefined solutions, I now prioritize a thorough understanding of the problem, breaking it down into manageable components. The iterative learning and adaptation process has become ingrained in my problem-solving DNA, fostering a more dynamic and responsive approach. 

Utilizing IPP Learnings: 

As I reflect on the transformative journey through the IPP course, the impact on my approach to education reform is profound. From uncovering challenges through the fishbone diagram to organizing reform discussions, each step has been a catalyst for change. Armed with the knowledge gained, I am not just a passive observer but an active participant in reshaping the future of education. The path forward is challenging, but with a dynamic, collaborative, and iterative approach, positive change is not only possible but inevitable. 

I am actively applying these learnings to address education reform challenges in real-world contexts. Whether collaborating with stakeholders, analyzing policy implications, or designing interventions, the IPP toolkit remains a valuable resource in my professional endeavors. 

The roundtable discussions, coupled with the IPP course’s emphasis on iterative adaptation, significantly impacted my problem-solving approach. The collaborative nature of the discussions reinforced the importance of engaging diverse stakeholders in the reform process. It also highlighted the need for ongoing dialogue and adaptation to address the evolving landscape of education reform. 

Words of Wisdom for PDIA Practitioners: 

To fellow PDIA practitioners around the world, I offer these words of wisdom: 

Recognize that iteration is not a sign of failure but a pathway to improvement. Each iteration brings you closer to effective solutions. 

Engage with diverse stakeholders to garner insights and build a collective understanding of the problem. Collaboration enhances the robustness of interventions. 

In the realm of public policy implementation, challenges are inevitable. Cultivate resilience, viewing setbacks as opportunities to learn, adapt, and refine your strategies. 

This is a blog series written by the alumni of the Implementing Public Policy Executive Education Program at the Harvard Kennedy School. 47 Participants successfully completed this 7-month hybrid program in December 2023. These are their learning journey stories.